In response to growing public demand for environmentally friendly agriculture that produces healthy food for human wellbeing, legislation has been passed to regulate the production, preparation, labeling and sale of organic products in Chile. In this area SAG is responsible for:
- Managing and supervising the National Organic Product Certification System.
- Supervising certifying bodies and ecological farm associations.
- Supervising organic operators (producers, processors, vendors and exporters) at the national level.
- International negotiations to reach agreements on organic standards with countries of interest.
- Taking part in the Inter-American Commission for Organic Agriculture.
- Participating in the National Commission for Organic Agriculture.