Conserving and protecting wild flora and fauna in Chile and ensuring their sustainability are goals that feature prominently in SAG’s work and guide the professionals who work in the technical unit, which also has the following objectives.
- To apply and monitor compliance with the Law on Hunting.
- To supervise keepers of wild fauna in exhibition, breeding, recovery and rescue centers.
- To implement the wild carnivore conservation and management program.
- To participate in biodiversity policy (species classification, conservation plans, exotic invasive species)
- To create a native flora registry.
- To manage the bird ringing program
- To administer and apply international conventions such as the Convention on Migratory Species, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) and the Vicuña Convention.